The Stampede engaged HLT to look at the current state of lottery programs (at the Stampede as well as other fairs and initiatives).
Calgary Stampede Lottery Operations
The Calgary Exhibition and Stampede (the “Stampede”)—known as the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth— is held every July on Stampede lands just outside the downtown core. Since the 1950’s the 100+ year old Stampede has offered various lottery games during the 10-day event (e.g., a luxury home, automobiles, cash) as well as an online version several months before the event. Lottery proceeds are a meaningful addition to the Stampede’s annual operating revenue and to the several service-club partners that play a key role in delivering the lottery program
- What direction(s) are lottery programs taking?
- What are the financial trend lines of lotteries (detailed examination of Stampede lotteries)
- How is the market changing, how are the players changing, what are they looking for in a lottery?
- What is the competitive landscape?
- What are lottery operators doing in other jurisdictions?
- What trends exist with respect to prize and price structures
- What is the future state of this lottery?
- Where does VLT, Casino, internet, Scratch and win, Interactive fit in?
- Who will be the market of the future?
HLT completed an in-depth analysis of the Stampede’s lottery operations, gathered input from fair-based lotteries in other jurisdictions and prepared a series of recommendations for the Stampede’s lottery committee.