HLT Advisory Case Study
Strategic Plan for the Ontario Horse Racing and Breeding Industry (2008)
Strategic Plan for the Ontario Horse Racing and Breeding Industry
In 2008, the Ontario Minister of Government Services created a three-person Strategic Planning Panel—comprised of a former Ontario Racing Commission Chairman, a federal cabinet minister and a racing industry veteran—to recommend a strategic plan for the Ontario horse racing and breeding industry.
The Panel retained HLT to undertake:
- A jurisdictional scan of the North America horse racing industry to provide an understanding of the market potential of Ontario racing within a broader gaming marketplace. The specific issues identified by the Panel included:
- In jurisdictions where slot revenues are directed to horse racing how is slot revenue distributed?
- What benchmarks exist to monitor funds and ensure program success?
- How have the existing and potential markets for racing products in Ontario changed?
- How have other jurisdictions been able to maintain and grow customer interest in the sport?
- How does the governance structure within the Ontario horse racing industry compare to other racing jurisdictions and other industries?
- An economic research study of the Ontario horse racing industry to provide an understanding of the economics of the industry within the broader gaming marketplace. The specific issues identified by the Panel included:
- How have slot revenues affected horse racing over the past decade, and how have those revenues been distributed and spent by the industry?
- How has the racehorse breeding industry affected the Ontario economy over the past decade?
- How have salaries and wages within the industry evolved over the past decade?
- What linkages exist between employment and the number of race dates?
The results of our work provided base data/information that was used by the Panel to complete their mandate.